Wednesday, June 22, 2011

More Juice

I've had a crazy idea recently to really rack up my drawing mileage.  It's more than just projects and paintings I do here and there. It's a plan to change my behavior. My plan is inspired by 2 movies and 1 magazine article.

Limitless: In this movie, there is this dude that takes a pill allows him to use more of his brain so he becomes super baller.

Lesson:
You have more potential than you are using. 


Adjustment Bureau: In this movie, this dude defies God.

Lesson:
If you want it bad enough - go get it.
Whether or not you do it... is whatever... but you gotta go balls out and risk everything if you really believe in it.





Harnessing the Power of Feedback loops: In this "Wired" article, the writer suggests that you can change your behavior using feedback loops. Corporations like Facebook and the police do it to you all the time.

Currently I'm working a system to change my sleep cycle so I sleep early and wake up earlier (10pm - 6am), and to increase the number hours that I draw a day.









High School work at Art Center (2004)
The PLAN
Currently, I spend 10-15 hours a week on drawing. It's not bad, but I'm honestly not producing any work with the passion I used to. I have much more potential. 

I plan to increase my drawing hours to 15-20 hours a week. This roughly is the number of hours I spent on my Art Center class in high school.  Getting these hours in require discipline, but yield respectable results. By July 15, 2011 - I want to be at this stage.




Booth at Carnegie Mellon (2008)
Afterwards,  I want to increase to drawing/ painting to 20-40 hours a week. This is how much time I spent on Booth in college. While this seems like a lot, this is a standard work schedule for average people. The hours will probably seem grueling, but I would be making work that I would be proud of.  By September 1, 2011- I want to be at this stage.

Eventually, I want to hit 40-60 hours a week of drawing/ painting/ designing. This is a lofty ambition, but you don't get anywhere by dreaming small. In fact, this is generally this workweek of an industry professional, if not more. By January 1, 2012 - I want to be at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment