Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tom Brown's Landscape Painting Class Review

Recently I took a plein air painting class taught by Tom Brown.
First things first, the class was a great deal! 5 weeks for $90! A plein air painting class usually costs 4x as much. It was hosted by the Irvine Fine Art Center - a local community center.


Tom and I (above). Class Demo (below)

When I first started researching about this instructor, I noticed that he had a youtube channel full of instructional videos. This guy every lots of teaching experience! In addition, he sends out a daily newsletter that has a new painting EVERYDAY. This guy was pretty dedicated. How many people you know consistently paint every day?


This guy does landscape paintings as a job - it's his lifestyle. In contrast, when you take a landscape class when an industry professional at CDA or Red Engine - those guys are only doing landscape paintings as a supplement to their professional work. Tom's heart is really into his work. It's like taking a class with Bob Ross!
Some of my work from the class...

One of the differences between gouache and oil is the way you premix color. In this painting, I premix all my colors so I have a solid color palette. Then I just block it in. I fiddle with some edges and shapes, and it's done! It's not the way Tom teaches, but it's pretty fun way to work. 

1 comment:

  1. All paintings are hand-painted oil painting .The quality of paint pigment is stable and the color is not easy to change, which is up to the international detection standard of environmentally friendly materials. We pursue high quality of the painting and precise control of the detail.

    ReplyDelete