Saturday, September 18, 2010

I didn't get a degree in Industrial Design for nothing

If you been to my house before, you would know that my mom is also really artistic like me. She does a lot of Chinese Calligraphy and Chinese painting. She is pretty dope. 


Couple of weeks ago, she asked me to create a holder for her many many brushes. Currently designs only hold 6-12 brushes, and take up a lot of table space. (like this)  only She came up with the design - I just made it.  
I used pegs and woodglue to attach the 3 pieces of wood together. I sanded it smooth (up to 600 grit). I finished it with 3 coats Teak oil stain. Then I applied a couple coats of UV-protection spray. And put on the eye-hooks. 
This was so well received that my mom wanted to me to make another one for her Calligraphy teacher. I'm currently in the process of making the second one, and will post step-by-step photos of the process. 



5 comments:

  1. UM you should totally make these for commission! Angela Wang's dad definitely needs one of these! We went to their house and I saw his calligraphy table, his brush collection is a mess! Actually mine is too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chris,

    this design is really clever. it's cool how you made it yourself; i really want to make my own furniture/stationary/that sort of thing sometime in the future too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys.

    @Robin - my mom's calligraphy friends definitely want these too - but I would have to charge $100-200 to really make it worthwhile. It's all made by hand and takes about 1 week to make.

    Yeah. I'm currently in the process of making the second one, and will post step-by-step photos of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. found this by accident. so cool! you should sell the idea to ikea or something...
    it'd be more awesome if you could make it spin, like have a lazy-susan wheel on the bottom. do you think that would be logistically possible?? it'd be really cool to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey thanks a lot man. I appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete